Sunday, March 23, 2008

Workmanship


Oh I've done it again, I've spent my afternoon grumping and griping to a bunch of inanimate objects that I am trying to assembling into the shape of some furniture piece for Magnolia. Following directions, or in the case where we have been given a disassembled something from friends, making up directions is really not my forte. I am not one of those spatial type of people. However, given a baby is arriving in my world, I figure doing frustrating, repetitive and patience draining tasks to be my training ground. Thus I have taken to getting out the tool kit and giving it a go. I have learned that assembly directions are like trick questions so I have to slow down and pay attention. This, I am not used to. I always underestimate the time it will take me to complete the task, the number of tools I will need to do it and the level of frustration I get when attempting the task. So this experiment in some-assembly-required is teaching me to focus on the details in hopes that I am not the mom who locks her keys in the car with the baby when I go into target. Is there a correlation? Guess we’ll find out soon enough.

I am just slightly worried that when we put our tiny infant into the crib, play pin or some other Monika-assembled item it will go crashing directly to the floor. Perhaps I should swaddle Justin and make him try everything out first.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd like to see a picture of Justin swaddled!
Aunt E

the four of us said...

congratulations, you two! i hope all is well, and nice job on that crib, monika!!