Thursday, March 6, 2008

Man in the Mirror


In the movie U23D, U2 perform the song "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own", a song that Bono wrote to his father. One line in the chorus says "it's you when I look in the mirror, it's you when I pick up the phone." He looks like his father; he sounds like his father.

I look like my father; sometimes I sound like my father. My 30th year has been full of double-takes in the mirror and staring at pictures of myself thinking how much I'm looking like my father.

And now I'm going to be a father. Mon and I joke that it will be easy to tell who they take after: light skin or darker skin, blond or black hair, green or brown eyes, short or tall. Notice I hold most of the dominant genes.

30 years from now they might be looking in the mirror amazed at how much they look like me.

No comments: