Sunday, September 9, 2007

Top 5 Track 3's

On the latest Sound Opinions, a great rock talk show, they gave their favorite lead-off tracks of all time. I've had a theory for a few years, probably from listening to a bunch of U2, that the third track on an album is often the strongest. While the lead-off track often makes a statement and sets the stage, I think that by the third song, the band is settling into the album. So here are my top five #3 tracks:

1. U2 "One" Achtung Baby--Probably one of my favorite songs of all time and one of the songs that motivated the theory. U2 is the master of the Track 3 Theory: see "With or Without You" on Joshua Tree and "New Year's Day" on War.

2. Pearl Jam "Alive" Ten--In high school everyone seemed to like Evenflow better, but "Alive" is the song that got me into Pearl Jam (and into rock).

3. Radiohead "High and Dry" The Bends--While I like all the twists and turns that Radiohead have given us in their later career, this album and song got me through many study sessions my freshman year in college.

4. The Postal Service "Such Great Heights" Give Up--At the risk of being overplayed, this is still my favorite song on an album that is showing staying power in my playlist.

5. Spoon "I Turn My Camera On" Gimme Fiction--Since I'm on a Spoon kick right now, thought I'd point out that they also subscribe to the Track 3 Theory. Also see "You Got Yr Cherry Bomb" from Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga.

Alternate for Laura: Beatles "Dear Prudence" White Album

No comments: