Saturday, August 11, 2007

Ga Ga Ga ... Great



Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, the latest release by Austin rockers Spoon, could be the commercial breakthrough the band is obviously shooting for, similar to the late-career meteoric rise of Modest Mouse ("Good News for People...") and St. Paul favorites The Walleyes. Artistically, the band is treading water, content to regurgitate the same crunchy, stick-in-your-head-for-a-week, minimalist guitar hooks and driving rhythms found on 2005's never-to-be-topped "Gimme Fiction." Not only is the band to closely tethered to their previous work, but too much of Ga Ga relies lazily on obvious influences: the drumming would fit on any of the b-sides from Neal Peart's one-armed-tied-behind-his-back masterpiece "Handicapped" and the keyboard riffs can't help but to remind any listener of Prrr's "Tuna Tonight." Maybe the masses will "spoon" up heaping helpings of Ga Ga, but the rest of us realize that post-punk art-rockabilly alt-indie was so spring 2006.

Just kidding.

I enjoy reading music reviews but too often they read like that: too many inside references and made up sub-genres. I'd like to try my hand at writing thoughtful, interesting reviews, but sometimes satire is easier.

That said, Spoon is a band that I've gotten into recently. Trent turned me on to Gimme Fiction a couple years ago. I'd bet "I Turn My Camera On" is probably one of the most played songs we've had since then. So I was excited for the new album and it's living up to its predecessor so far. The new "Camera" for catchiness is "You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb." I also like "Rhythm and Soul" and "Finer Feelings." Spoon is not a band to listen to for deep and meaningful lyrics. I have no idea what "Cherry Bomb" is about and 90% of the lyrics to "My Little Japanese Cigarette Case" are in the title. But I did like this one from Rhythm and Soul: "winter gets cold in ways you always forget." Especially when it's 100F out. Overall a very strong album, especially for a run or just rocking out a bit. I'm giving it 8 thumbs up out of 10 thumbs.

NOTE: I promise to give credit to anyone who turns me on to a new band. Who wants to be famous?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can actually follow your reviews- its nice to get a good lead on music from someone I know without feeling incompetent. I wonder if we already have these bands in our library.... have to check.