Sunday, January 1, 2012

Best of 2011



Now that 2011 is officially over, it's time I get my top music lists for the year together.

I usually have a hard time picking songs, but I already had to do so for a playlist with friends at work, so here you go:

Top 5 Songs

  1. Radio -- Raphael Saadiq
  2. Bizness -- Tune-Yards
  3. I Get Nervous -- Lower Dens
  4. Getting Ready for Christmas Day -- Paul Simon
  5. 'Til I Go Home -- Small Sins

This year I was drawn to electronic music more than ever before. This trend will definitely continue into 2012. Would love to go to Moogfest in Asheville this year.

Top 5 Electronic Albums

  1. Baths -- Cerulean (technically 2010)
  2. James Blake -- James Blake
  3. SBTRKT -- SBTRKT
  4. Moderat -- Moderat (technically 2009)
  5. Mount Kimbie -- Crooks & Lovers

Once I fall for a band, I fall hard. I lose all objectivity and tend to like anything they do, although My Morning Jacket is starting to threaten their status. For example, this year I saw U2 again and completed my back catalogs of Pearl Jam (20th anniversary!) and REM (farewell guys).

Top 5 Albums by Bands I Love Unconditionally

  1. Ryan Adams -- Ashes & Fire
  2. Bright Eyes -- The People's Key
  3. Iron & Wine -- Kiss Each Other Clean
  4. TV on the Radio -- Nine Types of Light
  5. The Mountain Goats -- All Eternals Deck

Some of these bands have been around a while and some were new in 2011, but I plan on following these bands in the future.

Top 5 New (to me) Artists

  1. Phantogram -- for fans of The xx
  2. Drive-By Truckers -- wish I'd jumped on this bandwagon sooner
  3. Handsome Furs -- guy from Wolf Parade
  4. Jon Hopkins
  5. The Head and the Heart


Last but not least, here are my favorite albums of the year. 

Top 5 Albums
  1. The Decemberists -- The King is Dead
  2. Wilco -- The Whole Love
  3. Tune-Yards -- W H O K I L L
  4. Radiohead -- The King of Limbs
  5. Shabazz Palaces -- Black Up

No comments: