Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Best of 2010


Top 5 Songs

5. The Hold Steady -- We Can Get Together; "Heaven is whenever we can get together and listen to your records"
4. M.I.A.--Xxxo; Rest of the album was kind of abrasive, but this one was super catchy
3. Kanye -- Runaway; Lots of choices off this one, but I've liked this one since I saw him perform it on SNL
2. Josh Ritter -- The Curse; One of the most creative love songs I've ever heard. Mummies anyone?
1. The National -- Blood Buzz Ohio; "I still owe money to the money, to the money I owe"

Top 5 New Bands

5. Andrew Belle: The Ladder; Don't know anything about him other than Laura chose this album and I ended up liking it
4, Janelle Monae: The ArchAndroid; Very creative, varied and fun
3, Delta Spirit: History from Below and Ode to Sunshine; Loose, jangly rock
2. Gold Panda: Lucky Shiner; Electronic artist that reminds me of Four Tet and Caribou
1. Sharon Van Etten: epic; Singer songwriter with a great voice (kind of like Aimee Mann)

Top 5 Bands to Give Birth To

3-5. Boards of Canada/Four Tet/Air -- Nap after epidural
2. The Avett Brothers -- Pushing
1. The Decemberists -- Active labor

Top 5 Albums that I Need More Time With

5. Midlake: The Courage of Others; Loved earlier albums but this one slipped in my playlist
4. Frightened Rabbit: The Winter of Mixed Drinks; Supposed to be Scottish stadium rock
3. The Walkmen: Lisbon; Went from "not following anymore" to "intriguing"
2. Sufjan Stevens: Age of Adz; Not an easy listen but is it worth the work?
1. Kanye West: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fancy; I love everything about Kanye--his music, his crazy behavior, his sunglasses

Top 5 Albums

5. Gorillaz: Plastic Beach; Cartoon gorillaz and Snoop Dogg? What could go wrong?
4. The National: High Violet; For those late nights when you're a bit down
3. The xx: xx; My minimalist rock choice of the year. They even beat out Spoon.
2. Josh Ritter: So Runs the World Away; Every album keeps getting better and better. Got to see him live again this year too!
1. LCD Soundsystem: This is Happening; Sadly, this is supposed to be the last album for this band. Good to go out on top.

No comments: